10.18.2008

First Impression

Monday was my first day running in the Vibram Sprints (http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/).

For some reason I felt that the experience of running in the Sprints would be terrible, and in some way making the jump to running barefoot would some how lead to a terrible injury. But after taking a few steps i felt assured in my foot. There was a kind of stability in the foot i had not really expected.

I immediately became aware of how I place my foot. After a couple of sharp rocks, i also very aware of where i step. I only ran about a mile and a half and even walked a part simple because i didn't have it in my legs to run anymore. Partially I can account this to having to have been lazy, but at the same time, areas of my legs which I have never felt to be sore after running, burned for the next two days.

I can't say I didn't enjoy it. It was the same feeling i had in my forearms first time i climbed, or even similar to the feeling of my first cross country practice back in high school. It's your body, being angry at you for not having to have used it before. And at the same time thanking you with a certain uplifting in the spirits, the aftermath of a runner high.

Over all I have to say the experience of running in the Sprints was rather pleasant, though my feet did hurt a bit, and a weird blister formed right at the base of the big toe on both legs.

No comments: